Saturday, June 5, 2010

John Wooden 1910 - 2010 The Teacher, Coach, Mentor - the man of Wisdom

John Wooden's passing today, June 4, 2010,  is a solemn reminder of the lack of great leaders today.
Also, what coach in any sport has come close:

10 National Championships in 12 years
7 National Championships in a row
38 game winning streak in national championship   
tournament play
12 Final Four's in 14 years
4 "Perfect Season's"

I was never a witness to any of these mindboggling achievements yet I have been a devote follower of the astonishing author of wisdom and life's lessons for leadership.  I choose to live by a famous "Woodenism" quoted by many - "Live today as if you'll die tomorrow, Learn today as if you live forever".  My father, grandfather, Mr. William Vakos, my father-in-law, Cleo Shawn, Pastor Robert Revell, and Rod Parsley are those who have imparted great truth's and nuggest of wisdom I choose to live by.  John Wooden, I have never met, yet in reading his books and writings the last two years; I have discovered enough wisdom to last multiple lifetimes.

I am particulary found of Wooden's 7 Rules to Live By:

1 - Be true to yourself
2 - Help others
3 - Make each day our masterpiece
4 - Drink deeply from good books, especially the Good Book (Bible)
5 - Make friendship a fine art
6 - Build a shelter for a rainy day
7 - Pray for guideance, and count and give thanks for your blessings each day

I only wish I had uncovered his writings 20 years ago.  I can honestly say, I have been drinking deeply from his literature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment